Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Park basics


Hunter-pose1, originally uploaded by phaird.

Normally, I talk about photos, or fun park stuff. Today I've got a little rant and everyone reading this blog will say "I never do that".

Not picking up after your dog. Yea I said it. Heck, I've even been bad myself now and again (though I feel guilty so that's my punishment). To me it's really simple. You keep an eye on your dog until they do their business. If you know you're dog goes a lot, then keep watch until you know their finished. You know you're dog well enough to know their habits.

My dog, Toby will normally go once on a walk but at the park, he has been known to go twice and on a rare day, he'll go 3 times. There are so many good smells, he just goes wild. I know this and make sure I've got an extra bag with me and keep a really close eye on him until he does his first.

Like I said, I'm not perfect and know I've missed one now and again but I do my best to pick up after my dog. I hope you can spread the love and kindly tell everyone you see that first rule of any public outing with your dog. Always pick up after your dog.

10 comments:

~Marie~ said...

Well said!!!

Tails said...

I never do :( But thats cos my dogs always go in the long grass and I cant find it after they've dashed off feeling lighter than before *sigh*

Renee said...

I agree. Most folks at the dog park where we go do pretty well picking up after their dogs, but every once in awhile you do find a special "surprise". I wish people around my apartment community picked up after their dogs. I feel like I'm the only one that does. Grr!

Lodo Grdzak said...

Just take the pooper scooper with you in a bag! Or stash one at the park for community use.

marianne said...

amazing, isn't it? biggest problem we have here, and it's a constant battle getting pople to pick up. we even have quarterly poop scoops that get in the paper & on tv. there are always a few.....so the rest of us pick a day & get opp (other people's poop)along with our own to keep things clean

Lodo Grdzak said...

Mike's down with O-P-P!

Janice Lee said...

Its true. Even here in Singapore, getting people to pick up after their dogs is very difficult. Until, we have to put up sign boards at the park to remind people. Haha

DogsDeserveFreedom said...

Good topic!

Congrats on being listed on blogsofnote! That's where I found your blog. Perhaps eventually my blog will join yours on the list! :)

Do you mind if I link my blog to yours?

Anonymous said...

So true... I get very annoyed when people don't pick up after their little ones. I saw a great blog post recently about what NOT to bring to the dog park: Dog Owner Etiquette

Esmerelda Sensibleshoes said...

For the record, I do clean up after Hunter (the dog in the pic above). The look on his face shows his contempt for the very idea of not picking up doggie poop, also his annoyance with his sister.