Sunday, December 14, 2008

Visting writer

I've gotten a response from a reader interested in telling a story about their dog. Teddi sent me a great little story of how they ended up adopted their first dog.

I hope you enjoy it.
______________________________________________________________________

My daughter Ashley and I used to frequent the local animal shelter to bring a little sunshine into the dreary days of the once loved pets. We did not want to adopt a pet, but we just thought it was a charitable way to spend a few hours, playing with the lonely animals.

One day, as we did our usual walk through the dog kennels, we saw the saddest, most pitiful dog I have ever seen. There was a German Shepherd mix named "Lola" who was laying in the corner of her pen with her paws covering her eyes. She just laid there shaking in fear as the other dogs barked anxiously around her. Immediately we asked the volunteers if we could get Lola out of her kennel for a while so that we could play with her and try to give her a reprieve.

As a safety precaution I took Ashley into the get acquainted room and placed her high on a ledge, out of reach of Lola. I didn't know how Lola would react to a toddler. After getting Ashley seated, it was time to bring in Lola for the introduction. In all the commotion of barking dogs, meowing cats and pet owners looking for lost pets, Lola lunged towards Ashley and the leash slipped out of my hands. As my heart started to sink and before I could gasp, Lola had jumped onto the wall and started licking Ashley's face as if they were old friends. Lola immediately laid down and placed her furry head in Ashley's tiny lap for a snuggle.

Needless to say, we rescued Lola. It was the last weekend before Lola was to be put down. I guess no one was interested in adopting a timid German Shepherd. The funny thing is that once we got Lola home, she found herself. She is not timid, she is not shy, she is just our protector and best friend. Things haven't changed much since the day we first met...Lola still LOVES licking Ashley's face.

7 comments:

Katherine Mikshenas said...

What a beautiful story! It touched me deep within my soul! Thank you so much for sharing. The story brought tears to my eyes and filled my heart with overflowing joy. God bless you and the person that gave you the story.

Anonymous said...

What a great rescue story, I cried..

Alison Joy said...

What a beautiful story! I rescued my dog too, so this story touched my heart and reminded me of the day I rescued Randy. Thank you for sharing it.

~Marie~ said...

What a great story!!! So touching.

KayBee said...

Thank you for taking in Lola. Your story touched me.

My husband and I do the same thing, wonder through our local humane society trying to brighten their days with some love until they find a home. After we lost our Lab, Copper, it was horrible walking into an empty house. It took a few weeks before I could do it without sobbing uncontrollably or begging someone meet me at home to accompany me. My husband, in an attempt to cheer me up, took me to the humane society. We walked through and my heart ached for Copper but also for all the dogs there that needed homes. My husband knew I always wanted a small dog and when I turned back to talk to him he held the cutest little chihuahua. She had come from an condemned home full of pets of all kinds, including some large aggressive dogs. She was timid and sat on my lap in the room for a long time until she turned to me and licked the tip of my nose. Needless to say, I cried again - this time with overwhelming love and I haven't put her down since. It took a lot of work to socialize her, train her and get her familiar with her surroundings considering the sub-standard environment she came from but I am so thankful to have met her and have her pick me as her mom.

Lodo Grdzak said...

Good save!

Janice Lee said...

hmm.. dogs do gives us a lifetime of unconditional love, loyalty, and friendship, in return, we provide them with food, water, shelter and companionship. Thank you for sharing!