Sunday, July 29, 2007

Theo the deaf Pit Bull


deaf dog Theo, originally uploaded by phaird.

I got to meet Theo for the first time today in the Acton Park. When I first saw him he was moving a little slow and I knew he was older but something else too. He was very intent on watching everything and didn't interact much. With all the younger dogs running around and playing, Theo was slowly just making the rounds. I found out from others in the park that Theo was totally deaf. His owner says his sight isn't so good either.

Theo was one of the friendliest dogs I met today though. I would just crouch down and he'd back on in to get his back scratched. I think it's in part of being older and being so hot. Theo was adopted and I asked if he was ever a fighting dog (because of the ears are clipped). She said that he has never shown any signs of aggression.

There are all kinds of dog owners out there. Some want something that they can buy and become an accessory to their life. The other side of that is those who see the individual in a dog that deserves a good home and a real family. Theo is another beautiful example of a rescue dog that has been given a second chance and a comfortable life. I'm not sure what his life was before, just like I don't know what my dog Toby's life was like. All we can do is offer them a good home with lots of love because every dog deserves a good home.

4 comments:

Deirdre said...

Wow...what a great picture of Theo, the "pit bull!" Hope you get to publish these great pictures some day soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm Theo's aunt, and I am so proud to see him on your website. Your site has been shared amongst family and friends. Thanks so much! We love you Theo!! It was nice to see someone else appreciate his kind gentle nature.

Unknown said...

Thanks Deidre for the correction. I do that all the time. That's why I am a photographer and not a writer.

Anonymous said...

I would like to send a big hug to Theo's owners for looking past the breed and for not letting the "what ifs" from preventing them from adopting a deaf pit bull. A great website is www.spbr.org which is a special tribute to pit bulls and all rescue dogs. I operate a small rescue group in my free time and there is nothing like saving a dog from shelter and finding that dog a special home. Rescue dogs "know" that they have been a second chance and for that, they are forever grateful.